Welcoming a new cat into your home is in many ways like welcoming a new baby. A few things are about to change. Just like you’d have to baby-proof your house, you will have to organize a couple of things before your house is prepared to say hello to a new kitty.
Right off the bat, prepare ahead by shopping for cat supplies prior to the new pet’s arrival. You will absolutely need kitty litter and a good litter box. Your feline will also want her own bowls for food and water, some toys to play with, and a warm bed.
Cat-proofing the house is important. Put away things like pens and tissue paper, since the cat can chew on these things and swallow them by accident. Hide the cleaning products and make sure any plants in the home are not toxic to cats.
A collar with an ID tag will be helpful in getting your cat home in the event that she accidentally gets out, walks off the property and gets lost in your neighborhood. Some owners have their cats microchipped, and this is especially helpful in case the local animal control is the one that finds the lost feline.
Any new animal needs a little acclimation time. Give your kitty space and time to have a little look around, sniff things out, and become relaxed before you start playing with her. Any other pets in the home should be kept away from the newest arrival for a day or two to let everyone get used to all of the changing scents.
Go slowly when it comes time to introduce the kitty to the rest of the family. Be sure that any kids who are saying hello to the kitty don’t get overly excited, and make sure your cat doesn’t roam around at will for a while if you do have other animals. Watch your new kitty closely during initial meetings with people and animals. When his diet and elimination become regular, your new friend is feeling at home at last.
- Related Blogs on Pets
- Pets in the Office : Unexpected Resources | Healing Together for …
- Nice Pets photos :: Asia Vaganza
- A good life for insured pets | 365 Days 365 Plays
- Pets in the news | Trashed pit bull gets worldwide recognition …
- skillnetgroup.com | Ultra Kawaii – Exotic Pets!
- Citi Trends Clothing » How Pets Can Be Bought And Why It Is Saved …
- Information On Leaving Your Pets At Home | Pet Information
- That's the spirit!|Lastest New York Pets News] | NYCPPL.COM
- Be The Change Take Action for Pets | Dancing Dog Blog
- TGWK's Review of “Touch Pets Dogs 2? v1.2 (iOS) « The Gamer With Kids